In simultaneous 5-axis machining, the machine tool’s three linear axes (X, Y and Z) and two rotational axes (A and B) all engage at the same time to perform complex processing on parts. With 3 + 2, the machine executes a 3-axis milling program with the cutting tool locked in a tilted position using its two rotational axes. The process, also known as 5-axis positional machining, relies on the fourth and fifth axes to orient the cutting tool in a fixed position rather than manipulate it continuously during the machining process.
What is 5-Axis Machining?
5-axis machining provides infinite possibilities as to the part sizes and shapes you can effectively process. The term “5-axis” refers to the number of directions in which the cutting tool can move. On a 5-axis machining center, the cutting tool moves across the X, Y and Z linear axes as well as rotates on the A and B axes to approach the workpiece from any direction. In other words, you can process five sides of a part in a single setup.
Simultaneous 5-Axis Machining Versus 3 + 2 Machining
Why Simultaneous 5-Axis?
Our simultaneous 5-axis technology raises the limits on the types of part geometries you can machine. By empowering you to produce highly complex components in a single setup, our 5-axis machines unbridle the imaginations of your engineers and redefine your overall capabilities.
5-Axis Machining Benefits
- Machine complex shapes in a single setup for increased productivity
- Save time and money with less fixture preparation
- Boost throughput and cash flow, while shortening lead times
- Higher part accuracy because the workpiece does not move across multiple workstations
- Ability to use shorter cutting tools for higher cutting speeds and less tool vibrations
- Achieve superior surface finishes and overall better part quality
A 5-Axis Solution for Every Application
We offer the industry’s most advanced and comprehensive selection of 5-axis machine configurations to give you the best cost of ownership as well as endless part-processing capabilities.
- INTEGREX e-HORIZONTAL Series
- INTEGREX e-VERTICAL Series
- VARIAXIS 5X Series
- VORTEX Series
- INTEGREX i-Series
- VARIAXIS i-Series
- VARIAXIS j-Series
- VERTICAL CENTER UNIVERSAL 5X
- VERTICAL CENTER COMPACT 5X
Hear how 5-axis machining centers have improved the productivity and machining efficiency of Mazak customers.Search Related Customer Stories
View our 5-axis machining videos on YouTube.Watch Related Videos
Browse all machinesAll machines